06 April 2008

Hummingbirds

I stopped today with the boys to get some more mealworms for the bluebirds (sidenote: I am going to put them in the fridge this time so they go "dormant" rather than feed them them carrots). Yep, the 500 mealworms from batch #1 is already gone. While at the store, I brushed up on my hummingbird info. We plan to make our own solution this year. Basically here's what I found out and what you need to know about this process and the timing of things - in case you wanted to grab a feeder for yourself:

  • mix 4 parts water with 1 part sugar and boil
  • store this solution in the refridgerator
  • on April 15 start putting the mixture in the hummingbird feeder
  • if the temperature is ~ 70 degrees, replace the solution about once every 5 days
  • if the temperature is ~ 90 or higher, replace the solution about once every other day

The hummingbirds are due back in the PA area on approximately April 26th.

No comments: