09 December 2012

Warrior #177 (B+)

Pretty sure the plot is known here by the entire world, but for those who are reading this in 17 years I'll do a quick recap.  A teacher who can barely pay his bills needs some extra dough or his family will go bankrupt.  He used to do some MMA (c) fighting in his younger days, and decides to get back involved.  There is a giant tournament coming with a huge purse and he decides to enter the contest.  With great fortune for the teacher, the main fighter from his gym gets hurt and cannot compete....thus a spot opens up and he can join the tourney.  Also, he has a brother.  Okay, you are caught up on the plot now....

Once the tournament starts, I feel like they film the entire rest of the movie as one long day.  Is that true?  Maybe it was just me who was confused, and/or they didn't film this well?  How many days are involved?  They can't fight twice within the same day can they?  I'm guessing the tournament occurs over many days, but they don't make this very apparent.  As in, there aren't any cut scenes with either brother and their family, trainers, or whatever.  I would think that they would have a fight and then show the husband with his wife and kid during the week, or prepping with the training for the next scheduled fight.  Instead, they do one fight, then it's seemingly immediately followed up by another.  Oh well.

I really liked this movie.  I am happy I watched it.  Once again, Tom Hardy transforms himself into a crazy awesome role.  He's ripped again like in Bronson.  I don't quite understand how a fairly plain looking guy can look completely different in nearly every movie he's starred in??  He's obviously a favorite of mine...man, I just got excited to see Dark Knight Rises...  Last statement, Tom Hardy IS today's Gary Oldman.  (Ohhhhh, they are BOTH in the Dark Knight Rises!!)


No comments: