07 October 2012

MOVIE 165 End of Watch (B)

Hi there....I watched End of Watch a few days ago.  And did so actually in the theatre as you might expect.  With popcorn and a soda the size of my ass head.  It's been a while since I've gone to the theatre, since perhaps Snow White's Huntsman or maybe Ted (it took me a while to post this, I've since seen Looper).  It felt good to get out there again, knock off the rust a bit.  Speaking of the theatre - I still haven't seen the new Batman, Total Recall, Premium Rush (LOL), Dredd (again, LOL), Bourne Legacy, Expendables 2, or the Possession (note to self, don't see the Possession aka the Dibbuk Box movie - too dangerous).

Now moving on to discussing End of Watch.  It was a good movie for sure.  Per a commercial I saw just a day or so ago, it's the #1 movie right now....a bit hard to believe, but okay.  I will say that I recommend going out and seeing it.  It wasn't the best ever and I have at least one pretty major gripe (see below), but it's still real good and totally worth a view.  In the theatre?  Maybe not.  You could wait and watch this on your home system.  They did a superb job building the characters...in fact, it is basically all they did throughout the movie.  Jake and Michael Pena are best buds, and they joke with each other, share excitement in the field of duty together, and would even die together.  Does it feel a bit like Harsh Times?  By that I mean have a feel of two homeboys riding around in a car for most of the movie all while within the "harsh" inner city streets?  Yes.

Here's my gripe.  They all had cameras.  Jake had more than one.  Apparently he was filming everything for a "project" he was doing for some sort of schooling he is in.  So in every scene, he's walking around filming, most times while also holding his gun and peaking around corners.  Typically cop move right?  In a bad situation, yet it's important to ensure that you have your handheld camera.  Then, even the bad guys had a camera.  They would carry it around and film their "bad" stuff, and then one of the bad leaders would say, "turn that stuff off and get serious" and push it with his hand.  Speaking of that, there were 4 major bad guys, and 2 of the 4 were girls.  Nothing against girls, but seriously?  The main bad guys are going to roll in a posse like this?  Just doesn't seem hardcore enough.  Again, sorry....as I know there are a lot of real tough girls out there that are offended right now.  I just would think that Jake and Michael Pena would have had a harder time going against 4 really tough dudes, not 2 and 2.

Note to self....See Higanjima!  Currently Netflizzz (c) doesn't have it available, so I have to put it on the save portion of the list, along with exactly 51 others.  Seriously?  Hey Netflix (c)....I love ya, but you gotta go and get these DVDs.  I've had some in my save section since I joined a few years ago.  Why can you not see that I (and others) would like to rent certain movies?  Ok, bye bye.

No comments: