13 November 2012

The Grey #169 (B-)

My movie reviews have contained a lot of "I don't know who recommended this to me" and "someone once told me that this movie stunk so....".  The Grey is no exception.  Someone once told me that this wasn't the best....so for a long time I avoided it altogether and thought I didn't want to waste my time watching.  Well, I pushed play the other day and made it through 42 minutes and enjoyed what I saw.  Last night I finished the rest of the flick, and overall had a very fun ride.

I went in thinking this was going to be all about bad cgi wolves...specifically I thought to myself, how in the world could a 2 hour movie be all about wolf attacks?  Well a few scenes were like that, but none too badly done...much to my surprise considering the previews showing 17 sets of glowing eyes staring at Liam and crew.  I don't pretend to understand wolves and their territory, but as Liam tried to tell the crew - apparently they attack if you are in their "zone".  I guess they were in their "zone" for the entire journey, because they had non-stop howling and glowing eyes engaged on them in the nearby forest.  But again it wasn't the worst as I did think it would be more overbearing.

I absolutely loved how they painted the start of the movie, beginning with the plane crash which set the scene - great cinema, just fantastic.  I was really on the edge of my seat.  Well done, good suspense, good viewpoint...then they were stranded in the middle of ice and snow nowhere...again, great shots and perfect set-up/feel.  The director built a suspense that had me totally hooked.

It would have been slightly cool if they developed the characters of the 8 or so guys that were left after the crash.  I guess they had them so bundled up, that you really could barely see them to get to know each of them.  Even the guy who was bitching and moaning about Liam being wrong, and wanting to take their personal belongings wasn't recognizable enough to me for me to know if he was the guy who just got eaten.  Never mind, I realized later that he was still there.  And over time, the character building was better...but done more once there were only a few left (spoiler, people die).

The ending actually was perfect for me.  Someone once mentioned I would hate the ending.  I was totally okay with it.  Not many movies end like this.  It was sad, but also makes a bit of sense given the position and situation.


No comments: