19 February 2008

Right At Your Door (B-):

Do I recommend this movie? Yes. Is this movie for the faint of heart? Well I suppose it can be, but not for someone who can't handle mass-chaos scenes (however there are only a few instances of mass-chaos in this movie). Basically this brings a "real first person" feel to something that probably could happen to all of us at one point in life, which is both scary and sad. I for one think we (at least my generation or the two generations below mine) will see the demise of Earth thanks to humans. Maybe not the whole Earth, but the human race will see it's demise thanks to humans. Somehow we will screw it up.


Over the past 100 years or so technology has advanced so fast (on a scale of 1 to fast - we are now above fast) that I hope we don't implode ourselves - but for some reason I believe it is bound to happen during our lifetime. Anyway, don't get depressed, these are just my pessimistic thoughts that I probably should have omitted from this rant - however when looking at a bell curve over time it is a possibility. That's all I am saying.


For some reason this Chris Gorak movie from 2006 was just released to DVD (I believe in January 2008 in the US). I guess it was a timing thing considering all of the trouble we've had since 9/11. Movies like this are touchy for sure. I guess now of all times makes the most sense since our terror level is currently low. So, as you can guess this is a movie about a dirty bizombing in Los Angeles (I have to say that so I don't get flagged, remove the "iz" to understand better). It then has a very M. Night Shalamalamadinger feel to it - basically filmed through the eyes of Rory Cochrane, aka Lucas from Empire Records. (Where has he been since 1995?) Mary McCormack is his wife. The plot for this movie gets an A+ however the story gets a bit long mid-movie, which is why I gave this an overall B- as a movie. The twist at the end definitely makes this movie worth watching.


Brad (Rory Cochrane) is an out of work rocker who helps his wife get ready for work and then just sits at home, but on this particular day L.A. is the spot of massive attacks (of which he can see from his window - the L.A. cityline). The rest of the movie is done very well in regards to how a person would react in this situation. He trys to go and get her until he hits a jam and the police won't let him get any farther, steals supplies from a store in which the owner/workers have fled, he runs into some of his neighbors and reacts in an interesting way (I don't want to give anything away), and he also decides that he has to give up on his hope for his wife's return and board himself inside his house.


I realize now to spice this movie up I could have used an Alvaro (Brad's neighbor's gardener) and Brad fist-off during this movie. That is just the action-guy inside of me speaking. There is much frustration between these two characters during the movie and a good yell-fest or fight could have made the middle of the movie more realistic and exciting.


After watching this movie I realized I don't have enough canned soup, jarred nuts, bottled water, plastic sheets, and duct tape. Oh, and a giant adult sized tricycle. I think everyone needs one of these to maneuver should we not have access to gasoline/cars.

No comments: