06 February 2012

108 Dawn of the Dead 1978 US version (A-); series part 1/12

I have to say - going in to this I was worried.  I haven't had the best 'Romero-experiences' of late; specifically with his more modern work (i.e. Land of the Dead with Leguizamo and Diary of the Dead).  Not the best flicks if you ask me - essentially I'd bill them as semi okay with some good gore-zombie scenes, but overall not my favs.  Throw in the acting of Leguizamo and subtract points.  I recall Night of the Living Dead from the 60's, just a bit, which I also didn't love but it certainly was a genre changer and thus I appreciate and respect it.  Ultimately I had hopes for Dawn of the Dead to be way better than Night of the Living Dead, especially with the rave reviews from everyone.  In the end, I definitely was happy to experience this epic and can confirm that this is the best of Romero's lot thus far.

With the new fan-dangled TVs however, I think the make-up was laughable at times.  It looked like they were smeared with battleship grey paint and you could also still see the skin color outlines around their lips and eyes.

What's up with the EU version of this versus the US version?  I believe one is longer than the other and one has some cut gore due to the time of it's release?  Is that right?  Perhaps something about the helicopter scene (which was great).  I think if I had a helicopter at my disposal I would use it to escape somehow.  I guess they were pretty safe so it was cool that they didn't.

The 'sex machine' Tom Savini http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0767741/ showed up at the end as part of the 2nd wave of craziness.  Which I appreciated in the movie, all the various layers.  Basically there was a first wave of insanity - where the four main characters had to deal with zombies and then find a place to live etc. - and then they bunkered down for a good portion of the movie and made the mall their home.  Way more so than was portrayed in the Sara Polly epic from 2004.  And finally Tom Savini and his horde of crazy rebels opened the doors again and allowed another wave of zombies to enter their abode.

For the record, Martin was okay.  Since we are discussing Romero.

No comments: