20 February 2012

111 The Matrix (A-)

Technically I've seen this once in college however I don't recall more than about 10 minutes of it, so I am considering 20 Feb, 2012 the first time I've seen this flick.  And funny enough, I have owned it on Bluray since two Christmas' ago - but my constant loathing for Keanu's great acting skills pushed me away from pushing play for so long.  I was aware that he knew kung-fu; which is undoubtedly the best line ever in cinema even over that 'frankly Scarlett' bit.  But I can officially say as far as sci-fi movies go - this is one of the best.  Although I've heard the sequel and third installment are not worth wasting my time.  

I don't need to do a plot review - that's obvious.  But I can say a few points.  The first 45 or so minutes were awesome to me.  I loved watching the story unfold as Keanu tried to understand what was being presented to him.  That is probably my favorite type of "plot path" when it comes to movies - when the main character doesn't know what is going on but the others in the movie are aware (The Wickerman, The Truman Show, The Village, etc.).   I also enjoyed the constant undertones and play on actual life realness versus the "what if" factor, and that fits in great with the questions I have about what the heck is going on in this world.  They made reality come into question quite nicely - which I loved.  I listen to a paranormal podcast weekly and the web-site for this podcast has in their search bar the words "take the red pill".  I always wondered what that meant?  I get it now.  

Lastly, I wanted to say that this could use a few more good viewings by me.  I probably missed a lot. 

I've done it, not only have I watched The Matrix but I wrote a review without saying the words Neo, Morpheus, or talking about bullets flying at someone and the dodging of the bullets by bending at an impossible manner!  Touche!

No comments: