10 January 2013

Blue Sunshine #182 (B-)

Great line..."Do you remember Rodan?"  "The artist?"  "ha, no, the monster"...  I had to push pause after this and listen to a Rodan album, so that prompted about a 40 minute delay.  Luckily I refrained from watching the movie Rodan on instant stream (yes, it's available folks!).

So, I watched 28 minutes thus far and I'm totally confused.  I had to start again.  I was confused why the guy went nuts at the party...and I also can't tell these 70's actors apart.  Is the guy that comes into the kitchen and overhears his wife and another guy making fun of his hair loss the same guy that is singing in the next scene at the party?   And are any or all of these guys the senator?  Perhaps my 2nd viewing of the first 28 minutes will help me.  Ugh.  (no, they are all different)

Let me get this straight, so everyone in this town essentially went to Stanford?

Oh and, everyone is losing their hair....??

Ok, I watched all but the last 25 minutes if this movie (it's a game called 'fun movie watching with Q-Slice'...in which you do it in as many fragmented stages as possible and win!!!!!) and was totally engaged and loving it, AND I even understood all of the pending questions above (minus the random Stanford happenstance, like, how would they all just be living near each other?)...but then, the movie left instant stream and I couldn't view the end.  So, I needed to rent it!  Blue Sunshine became a real challenge all of a sudden!!!  Meanwhile.....the movie arrived in the mail and I finished it (starting from the beginning of coarse).  It was quirky and odd...fun and exciting.  I am happy I watched the beginning three times though because I would have been really confused if not.

The basic plot is people in this town are starting to go crazy, and lose their hair.  They are committing murder when they "go crazy" and really not acting like themselves.  There is a link back to their college days, to an acid they all took at Stanford called Blue Sunshine.  Apparently there is a delayed degenerative and psychogenetic effect if you took Blue Sunshine years prior.  How the main guy, who's acting like a detective the entire movie, randomly picks up on this is beyond me.  But, it was still good to watch.  Most of the reviews on Netflix (c) are negative though - and lots of "waste of my time" talk.  Lots of 3 stars.  Not very many 4 and 5.  Oh well.  I liked it.  It's only about 90 minutes long, from 1978....I do recommend to those who branch from the mainstream.




No comments: