23 October 2011

56 / Buried (B-)

I reluctantly give this movie a B-.  At first I was totally annoyed and the random items he had in his possession in the coffin/box were ridiculous to me (flashlights, glow sticks, a cell phone, etc.).  But I suppose as the movie went forward I realized why he had these things.  As Ryan Reynolds' frustration grew in his 6 foot box, my frustration grew as well.  Thus, his acting worked and I suppose he did a good job.

I also noted, that in 1 hour and 35 minutes they didn't once stray from the coffin.  The camera angles changed, but there was no sunlight, no shots of the outside, no nothing but Ryan Reynolds rolling around in a box making cell phone calls.

When he needed to turn around and face the other way, and thusly had to get himself all scrunched up in that small space to wedge his body in the other direction, I myself was squirming in my chair.

The scene with the snake I could have done without.

I couldn't picture Blake and Ryan watching this on the big screen together.  I bet it becomes quite awkward to watch yourself on film for that long, with no other person on the shot, ever.  This movie might have cost $170,000...with Ryan Reynolds making $100,000 for the acting.  Green Lantern - LOL!

No comments: