14 April 2012

125 Blown Away (B+)

Something might be wrong with me.  Seriously - what is happening?  Look at the title of this post.  I just rated a supposed crappy movie from 1993 with a big ol' B+.  AND, I just took over an hour to write the below review and in the end, I'm actually saying that I like this movie.  I might watch it again in fact, and soon.  And not just because of the constant explicit scenes by Nicole Eggert, but actually due to the plot.  You'll see below.  I can already picture this one sticking with me and can envision my recommendations to folks as I pass them on the street.

yes, I liked I love what you did last summer.  It's a good flick which I believe is underrated, gets a very bad rap, and has clutch younger actors from the 90's.  I also like movies like transformers and that one with Tom Cruise.  Was it Vanilla Sky?  Nope...I just looked it up.  It's that show Gigit.  I enjoy stuff like that.  And thankfully Tom Cruise wasn't in either of them.  Just for those that are new to this blog, you have to actually click on those links as they really aren't transformers, gigit, or vanilla sky.  Then I go out and watch Blown Away (not the Tommy Lee Jones one) and I'm pretty sure I feel the same way about this movie as I do about I love you last summer and White Water Summer.  I believe what helped this be a bit like magic, and I can't believe I'm even saying that for a movie like Blown Away, is because but the director portrays the actors as living in their own minds with little to no care or bother by the others around them.  This is apparent immediately when Feldman is standing in a crowded room with a walkie talkie strapped to his chest (somehow this is his outfit twice in the movie????) and Haim is radioing him calling him a "Dickwad" - all while Feldman is chatting with a lady friend and acting like he can't hear Haim and the Dickwad talk.  Totally genius acting/directing.  Over time, people likely will go back and realize how good this movie is.  It reminded me of Drive a lot.  Remember that scene on the cliff with the dirt bikes?  Clutch!

Initially I had thought that I had seen this prior but I don't actually think I've ever actually seen it before.  I'm telling you - with the right mindset and an open approach, this is a good movie!  Very drawn out, slow and deliberate acting.  The plot is good as well.  And the actual actors were awesome!   Iconic really.  Totally fun to watch these stars compile for a gem.  At one point Feldman and Haim thrown down, of course due to a lady.  Such a great scene!  Here it is on YouTube, be warned there is language in this clip: fight over that girl from 90210.  This is going to sound really really bad, but this movie might make me better appreciate some from back in the day that I struggle with, like black and white pieces.  Did you hear what he said at the end of that clip?!?!  That was probably better than the 'I could give a damn Charlotte' line.  He said it runs in his family and then licked his own blood.  So subtle and what the heck is acting like this doing in a movie like this?!

Who was in Lost Boys?  Was it both Haim and Feldman?  As well as Keifer?  I need to watch again soon.  That soundtrack was fantastic.  Better than Goblin?  No.  But Goblin is so simple.  Definitely my fav.

I wanted to also note the birds are right for this movie (is that a red-winged blackbird?  Yep, I hear concur-eeee").  Very effective.  I noted this throughout that they didn't just use the cookie cutter hawk sound.  I even heard a wood thrush in the one scene.  [On a totally separate note, today I heard what I thought was a chickadee doing the feebee-feebay call.  And it didn't sound like a carolina and also didn't sound like a black-capped chickadee.  I swear I heard "spring of the year".  Could it be?  I need to remember to google Yahoo! that sparrow because I always forget which one it is]

One last time for the books, yell it loud ------ Feldman and Haim!

That ending was so Training Day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RIP Haim...great actor will be missed