16 March 2013

Escape from Planet Earth #184 (D)

Average at best.  Basically it was a let down compared to the other animated kids movies of late.  I suppose kids will like this though.  After all, mine said it was good.  Yet in my opinion, over time it will be realized that it has nothing when compared to movies like Wreck It Ralph, Toy Story, or Cars, etc.  I am having some issues pointing directly at the issue which I had with this film.  Perhaps the plot was the biggest reason.  It basically just lacked umph.  The main Baabian leader, played by Jessica Alba, was a weak character.  The mom and son struggling in an attempt to rescue their dad was pretty bad as well.  From a plot standpoint, it just didn't work for me.  Heck, even the two main characters (the brothers) and their relationship was bad.  And then you throw a mediocre personality like Brendan Fraser into the mix, and you pretty much have a flop.  Not much laughing from the full theatre either.

I liked at the end (sorry, not trying to ruin it for you, but honestly it doesn't matter....oh and this is sarcasm.  I didn't really like this part) how they stopped the evil human from destroying planets and then they were back on their planet immediately, with barely any excitement or viewer draw in...then they spent another 5 wasted minutes on having Brendan Fraser's blue monster character get married.  The climax was so abrupt, and silly....just done poorly.  My description cannot portray well enough how bad it was.

The Baabian people walked weird too.  Not on purpose, as in - the animators wanted to portray these aliens which have a certain gate - rather it was as if the animators couldn't figure out how to make it flow smoothly.  A la someone trying to fake a Bigfoot video.  It was a mix between too stiff and awkward.  I am probably the only one noticing stuff like this, but it bothered me.

So far it's made 16.1 million (note: most of this post was written on opening weekend, which is when this dollar amount was listed).  I believe it opened three days ago.  So, the joke is on us.




No comments: