27 March 2012

122 Take Shelter (B+)

Well sir, unlike you I do believe I liked this one.  I agree it was slow and drawn out and can understand how you weren't on board, but I was hooked in with the insanity and enjoyed.  I guess it's hit or miss though, because given another night I probably could have been just as hooked on Melancholia....And what a combo of back to back movie nights...first Melancholia now Take Shelter?!  Damn.  That's about 4.5 hours worth of slooooooow and twisted cinema.  Cinema that effs with your brain, rather than just watching a giant metal robot and that dude who played wolverine play shadow boxing together.  Thinking back on it I think I might make Melancholia a bit higher of a rating than I did, but I still liked Take Shelter better.

They portrayed Michael Shannon as a complete whack-a-doo in this film - which he is very good at portraying.  In fact, I've seen approximately 5 or so of his films over time and aside from maybe 1 of his supporting background character war roles, he's basically been totally loopy and odd in all of his films that I've viewed - would that be a correct statement?  I also noticed that there is a grouping of actors that seem to say yes to these off the wall films that bend the standard cookie cutter hollywood vision.  Like Dafoe and Udo Kier.  Anyway, back to Michael Shannon.  His character started semi normal - dad, husband, worker - and then he started to obsess over storms (no thanks to his crazed dreams) as well as take his dreams too literally.  Not just obsess, he literally became insane.  It was great to watch his own vision of himself coupled with his families vision of him, and tri-coupled with how the neighboring community viewed him.

I say bravo and give it a watch.  Good job Jeff Nichols.  Lastly I thought that his wife was Ron Howard's daughter.  I guess I have to start to realize that there are two of them and they are indeed different individuals.

No comments: