01 March 2012

Drive 114 (A-)

I like this movie because of the odd sense it gives off, very quirky yet still appeals to the general movie goer too I'd assume.  Kind of like Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans.  It isn't a cookie cutter hollywood action flick, rather, it's both bizarre and plentiful.  I actually thought going into the movie that it took place in the 80's, but apparently not??  I do still feel a bit confused about that part though.  R. Gosling had on an 80's jacket and presented an 80's 'look' the entire movie, as well as drove cars around from the 80's.  But then I saw people texting on iPhones (c), and new mustangs and Chrysler (c) 300's etc...so, I guess it did take place in current times??  Strange.  How can we find this out?

This is my favorite gaff that IMDB decided to capture:


During the initial sequence, Driver is listing to the Clippers game on the radio, but the XM radio is tuned to the 60s on 6 channel, which plays music from the 1960s, not current sports.

Technically this is the 2nd movie I've seen with Ryan Gosling in it, but I thought it was the first until I just looked his career up.  I've seen Remember the Titans, but I don't really recall it.  Anyway, I like him and want to see some of his other works like The United States of Leland, Ides of March, and Half Nelson.  I just watched a few YouTube (c) clips and apparently they had him talk less on purpose.  My feel was they were going for a Sly type of tough guy role by having limited dialogue.  It worked I suppose.

There were two scenes which were totally crazy and one reminded me of Irreversible and Pan's Labyrinth.  If you get the connection here you will know the scene type I'm referring to.  Basically something which is totally over the top, brutal and graphic.  No, not that scene from Irreversible.  The other scene is when they said bye-bye to Blanche.  That scene reminds me of a movie I'm about to see soon called Rise of the Footsoldier.

The main bad guy - not Ron Perlman but his boss - was he trying to sound exactly like Gene Hackman in Get Shorty?  His voice was basically the same and his hair was similar too.  Sort of odd.  Almost like he took an inspiration from that performance and they built this character from Drive around Hackman's Harry Zimm.  Just something I noticed.  And Ron Perlman, man, that guy is a definite freak of nature.  He's fun to watch and I think he should be in more movies where he is the bad guy.  I like his acting.

Good to see Bryan Cranston getting a huge movie role - good work buddy.

Lastly and most important - can't Ryan Gosling take off his jacket once it gets bloody?

No comments: