18 March 2012

the experiment (C+) no. 119

I don't want to discourage folks from this flick - it was a pretty fun ride and I think you should watch it.  Initially I had it listed as a B- but honestly they could have made it a touch better in my book, thus there was a drop down to C+.  Regardless it was worth a watch.  Adrien Brody will say yes to any film I've decided.  That is my hypothesis.  By the end of his career he will have done tearjerkers, sci-fi, action, romance, horror, comedy, beard trimmer commercials, indie dramas....you get the point.  He and Forest Whitaker tore things up in the Experiment, although sometimes Forest's acting makes me laugh.  At one point in the movie there was the start to some violence and Forest went into the bathroom and realized he was aroused from this violence.  Why the hell did they need to add that to the movie?  When you watch you will laugh at this.

The movie is apparently taken off a real stunt which occurred back in 1971.  The basic plot was an experiment where guys signed up to pretend they were in a real life prison setting for 14 days.  They were to be paid $1,000 a day for the experiment for a total of 14k at the end of the two weeks.  The people in charge bused them out to a facility in the middle of nowhere and told them to leave their personal belongings at the door.  They divvied them up into cops and robbers and told them the rules.  I probably shouldn't have said that part and rather just let you watch for yourself.  But, it happens pretty fast into the movie so I don't think I ruined anything.

I've seen that one main actor Cam before (Cam Gigandet).  I think he was the dude from Pandorum.  Yep, just looked it up.  He's also in Never Back Down and I believe I recognize him from that trailer.  That is one fighting movie I may never see.  Apparently he's also this guy from Twilight Cam Gigandet IMDB (c) link to James from Twilight, guy with the longer hair from that scene where they played baseball in the field - so, I guess he's getting pretty famous.  He also looks like Chris Pine from Star Trek.

Was that other guy the dude from good charlotte?  He wore eye paint like he was one of the Madden brothers.  I found him after looking at the cast three times over - his name is Travis Fimmel.  Note to self and to all reading this: don't ever Google (c) Travis Fimmel.  Here is a picture I found of Travis Fimmel looking a bit like a Madden brother.  Come to think of it, the lead girl looks like Leslie Bibb.  There are a lot of look a likes going on in this one bros, a lot.  I didn't even mention the guy who looks like Buchemi.

No comments: