14 December 2011

79: Risky Business (B)

Great line: "he's got such nice friends, clean, polite....quick"

I'll be honest, I thought this was going to be the standard 80's movie - a comedy actually - like Pretty in Pink or 16 Candles.  But this is more of a drama/thriller sort of, a lesson learner of kinds.  I never would have guessed this was what Risky Business was about.  Especially with the "classic" scene, which is/was unfortunately stuck in my head, of Cruise sliding across the floor.  Definitely from that 'splendid' vision I thought the plot would be just another silly knee-slapper full of crazy stunts from crazy kids, instead, they curse a bunch and get into a world of 80's style trouble...all while wearing loafers.  Who knew?  Probably most of the world actually...


At the end of the flick I felt bad for ol' Tom, actually a few times I felt bad for him.  They kept taking his stuff and he almost got in trouble by his parents.  Shoot, he was even in school trying to do the right thing, meanwhile his house was getting looted.  Not cool whores.  Not cool.

I was sure happy to see Balki Bartokomous and Dudley (Booger) Dawson in their epic supporting roles.  Booger wasn't actually even Booger yet...crazy.  He became Booger the next year.  I think that guy (the loser brother) with curly hair from Parenthood is a mix between Booger and Steve Guttenberg.  Booger is still alive - I just looked him up to confirm.  Also, while looking up how to spell Guttenberg correctly, I found the following interesting link about epic 80's legends IMDB list of 80's epic legends ...apparently Guttenberg is #2, with #1 going to none other than Cobra-Kai's main man Johnny.  "Yeah!  Okay, here's your first lesson, how to take a FALL!"  Apparently Balki wasn't even Balki yet when this one graced the screen...damn, pretty crazy.  For Tommy, it was pre-Legend, pre-Top Gun, pre-Color of Money, and pre-Cocktail.

No comments: