14 December 2011

80: John Carpenter's Halloween (A)

Damn surround sound and damn the fact that I decided to start the dishwasher prior to starting this movie. Yes, that's also correct...I'm a horror movie snob who watches 4 out of 5 within the genre, and I've never seen the original Halloween.  It's true.  Let's quickly discuss what I know about this movie and the legend surrounding it.  I know for sure that Jamie Lee Curtis lives, at least through the first few movies.  I know that Michael Myers can walk ultra-fast.  I've seen the Rob Zombie take on it - and liked that.  Lastly I know the song.  So, I've pushed play and here we go...

  1. I never would have suspected THE Michael Myers to drive around (as above, isn't his thing that he's far away and then he gets over to you super fast?), much less in a woody-wagon!  Classic!
  2. Have to give props to the now you see me/now you don't part of the movie - which was occurring in broad daylight for a good portion of the beginning.  Love that stuff - especially when it's creepy + in the daylight hours.
  3. The scene in the car/garage reminded me a bit of 'Maniac!' (1980)
  4. "Death has come to your little town sheriff, you can either ignore it or you can help me to stop it."
  5. Is that cop/dad Brian Dennehey?  Apparently not.  But from the side, he looks like it for sure.
  6. I thought Donald Pleasance was going to be Donald Sutherland and am upset that it wasn't, although this other guy was good.
  7. Could someone please explain the gravestone to me?  Seriously?  I guess that was his sister from the beginning of the film when he was a younger lad?
  8. I didn't expect that ending.  Loved that he wasn't there when they looked again.  Nice!
As they say, this movie has lots of slow creepiness to it, very sparse on the actual horror scenes (which is totally okay), and has the feel of great old-school horror slasher scenes (where you don't actually see much, again...that's okay).  The whole thing wasn't very long, I'm surprised.  It basically only takes place on one night in one small part of the neighborhood.  From an "I'm scared" stand-point, I really wasn't too scared.  The opening part with the loonies in the field wondering around was a bit scary, but this one was more visually cool with Michael lurking around slowly, showing up in odd places then vanishing, and waiting for his moment.  The mask left no expression, so that was a cool effect.

Gotta give this one an A.  I'm mad at myself for not having seen it prior to tonight.

Update: here is a picture I was finally able to upload of Michael being awesome:


No comments: