21 December 2011

84 / Hell Night (C-)

This movie is some sort of pledge movie, on "hell night" (I guess halloween), but the pledges are both male and female - I'm not sure I really get that part.  Perhaps a combined frat/sorority thing?  Anyway, it's apparently a cult classic, so I gave it a chance.  Also, Linda Blair is in it...

So the basic premise is 4 newbies have to spend one night in a haunted castle/house in order to get into the club.  I just love how these crazy, HUGE, houses randomly exist near college towns...completely fixed up with about 1,000 candles, already lit of course.  And the place is completely empty, no one lives there.  Here's the super tricky 1981 movie twist, the frat boys and sorority girls are pulling pranks on the 4 newbies while they spend their night in the castle...woah!  Good plot.  Ha!  Anyway, guess what?  There's an actual killa there too....so jokes on the entire lot of them.  I need to ask, is the killa a wolfman?  He's sure relentless.  I think he "came back" about 6 times after you thought he was already dead.  I guess that's why it's a cult classic??  My overall view, it wasn't the worst, yet wasn't the best.  I wouldn't waste my time if I were you even if you like old 80's classics, just not worth it.

Note, about 4 times throughout this epic wonderment, there is a vulture or red tailed hawk cry - in the middle of the night no doubt.  It sounds like something you'd hear in a movie that takes place in a desert.  Otherwise the movie had good music, a la Goblin.

No comments: