17 June 2012

#136 Crawlspace (B-)

"So be it..."


Once I saw Dr. Gunther put his hand over the flame on the stove - I knew this was going to be a movie worth watching.  Then later he wore make-up (see below for screenshot insert).  Make-up that was smeared all over him like a clown, so bonus points awarded here.  Basically I loved that Klaus Kinski was the villain in Crawlspace.  Casting a movie is clutch I've come to realize.  Take Chop for example, what a great example of a movie with a semi good idea for a plot that is totally ruined by bad acting/casting.  Remember when he was flying within the crawlspace on that cart with wheels?  He’s a master of catching up to people in small places that he frequents.  Nasayne?  I started to look at his IMDB repetuaur to find out where I mostly know him from, but it’s so long that I got tired of looking – I know I  him from Aguirre the Wrath of God by Herzog.  But I’m not sure if I know him from anywhere else.  He was like Hannibal Lector in that film and to be honest, perhaps Anthony Hopkins watched Crawlspace for his inspiration for Silence of the Lambs, since Crawlspace came out first.  In fact, I cannot stop thinking about this as a possible fact.  Klaus taught Anthony, per my best guess.



The cover art on this film had me initially steering away from it – but had I known that it was an early 80’s piece that was mostly psychological (versus extreme brutality/horror which is what I thought it was going to be based on the cover art), I would have watched it sooner.  The cover should actually be either Klaus putting on that red lipstick and staring at the camera, or him gliding through the crawlspace on his flat scooter.  Once again, see below for examples.


RIP Klaus - 1991



No comments: