30 June 2012

137 Prometheus (A-)


So I saw Prometheus last evening (really on June 18th, I just haven't gotten around to posting this).  Please note, if you haven't seen this movie then don't read the below.  It is a plot spoiler for sure.  

Why did that white guy drink something and fall into the waterfall at the very beginning?  Was that foreshadowing to him spreading the disease (from the black liquid vases) into Earth’s water system?  Or perhaps was that what happened earlier on that moon/planet they spent the majority of the movie on?

Was this a mirror or prequel or sequel to Hunter Prey?  When the planet floor started opening up for the ship to leave, I turned to my buddy and whispered “Hunter Prey?” and he nodded in agreement with my connection.

What was up with the Alien coming out at the end?  Was that done for a sequel or a tie in with the movie Alien itself?  Seriously, why did they do that?  Was it awesome, or was it awful?  So, that small white worm from that guy’s eye got into the girl when they bonked, and then she had a bigger white worm/slug in her belly (all done on purpose by cyborg David), and then that worm got removed - only to turn into a giant white octopus over the span of a few days, and then the giant white octopus went into the giant white alien guy only to turn into an alien directly from the movie Alien(s)?  WTF??  Seriously, think about it….WTF?  Still, I liked it - but huh??

Why did Ridley Scott do Alien and James Cameron do Aliens etc.?  That is odd.  I guess you’ve known this.  I just found out.

I liked when that white guy was coming through the door of the pod at the end, after David told Dr. Shaw to ‘watch out, he’s coming for you’.  That was cool.  In the sequel I hope those guys are in it more, they were cool and done pretty well, versus say the Hulk and the way he looks in movies.

Honestly I liked David, the cyborg.  That was a good character to put into this movie.  He was programmed to be a certain way but had the ability to stray from his own program and have some of his own thoughts.  I liked that he had a different agenda and was a bit evil throughout.  That actually made the plot better.  When he was in the room with all of the stars and Earths floating all around, after the hologram guys came in and sat down and played the flute, I was thinking to myself that if that was a normal human they would have been shiziting their pants, but David was cool under the sheets during that because he was a cyborg and didn’t care that this was all going down.

Bro, they killed off one of the best characters, well two of them.  Halloway (the boyfriend of Dr. Shaw) was good, where do I know him from?  Is he the next Jeremy Piven or Jake Gyllenhaul, or perhaps Renner?  Or Jake Busey?   I believe I’ve seen him in a role before.  Looked it up, the answer is that I saw him in the movie Devil about the elevator.  The other guy that was cool was the guy with the mohawk that turned into a rad werewolf and couldn’t die even when driven over by a space mobile.  That was a cool scene, but they killed him off too soon.  He was a good character.  Also, that main actress was pretty.  She kicked some butt with that alien in her.  All while just having gauze on her person.

Why did they bother putting Guy Pearce in the movie?  I feel that anyone could have played that role.  I liked some of the other supporting characters, like the ship pilot and the one other guy, and Charlize was good per me.

One last note, I saw this in regular, not 3D IMAX.  If you want to see it again give me a shout.  I’ll go again.  And I gave this an A- instead of a B+ because even though I thought the plot jumped around a  lot, the scenery and CGI was done very well.

Okay, one more last note - I said a basic gist of the above to my friend and he asked me, "Chris, not to be rude, but when was the last time you saw Alien?"  Apparently if I had remembered that movie, I would have understood more of this movie.  That does not take away that the plot was a bit disjointed  and the movie was mostly run by it's extremely awesome cinematography.

No comments: