20 November 2011

The Burning # 69 (B-)

I took 30 minutes the other day to look up articles/lists on-line for the "best unknown horror movies" out there.  The Burning was recommended on the following list for slasher flicks: top ten   The oddest part is the main killer's name in the movie is Cropsy.  I guess that's where they got the name for the urban legend from Staten Island?  Perhaps not, I just looked it up on Wikipedia and they said the name goes way back. So I guess they took it from the legend as a whole.

Here's what Wikipedia says: 
Cropsey Origins
The name “Cropsey”,[2] has nebulous origins. According to folklore experts,[who?] there were several urban legends in the late 19th century that dealt with a person named Cropsey.

Anyway, the movie is campy (literally, it takes place at a camp) and a B-rated slasher, but done pretty well. They don't show Crospy too much which is a shame. A lot of black boot and ankle shots from him. It starts off where kids play a prank on a guy and he ends up getting burned very badly.  5 years later he is out for revenge.  Jason Alexander is one of the main actors, which is funny. I also recognized Mark 'Rat' Ratner from Fast Times at Ridgemont High...his real name is Brian Backer.  He was also in Police Academy 4 and Meatballs.  I bet a lot of people would recognize him.  Per IMDB he was born in 1956! That is crazy!!  He seemed so young in The Burning, but I guess it was from 1981. Apparently Holly Hunter was in this too, but I didn't see her at all.  If I ever find myself watching again, I'll look for her.  Overall don't expect much more from this than a standard 80's slasher film, but if you like that kind of thing then give it a shot.  I enjoyed watching for sure.  Reminded me a lot of a Friday the 13th type of movie.

No comments: