29 November 2011

Nosferatu: The Gothic Industrial Mix / #76 (C)

1922 version directed by F.W. Murnau:

Joke is on me.  I thought silent film meant no sound, not even music.  Also, I didn't expect sub-titles.  I sort of feel like that is cheating.  All these years, I thought people just guessed what they were saying by their acting skills.  Oh, haha.  Just read that the "Gothic Industrial Mix" is the version with music added in the background to make it more eerie.

I wonder if centuries prior to film, people acted out bits such as this?  It's pretty creepy to see what the minds of folks in the early 1900's thought.  I sure would love to see a Paleolithic-man stage play.

Count Orlok is very broad shouldered, with crazy skinny legs and pointy shoes.

Best non-spoken line, "Is this your wife?  What a lovely throat."

Watching this movie was pretty tough.  I gave it a try, but unless Count Orlok was on the screen there was no need to view this film.  I really liked the scene where he was carrying the coffin around, especially when he went across the screen in a sped up motion.  That was the coolest.  There were some other spooky shots, but quite honestly I could have done without seeing this.  I guess this is where it all started though, so I must give it some props.  However, it's just boring.  There is barely any action.

No comments: