16 November 2011

The Vanishing (1993 version) / #68 (A)

Awesome movie!  Very well done.  I've only made it part of the way through the 1988 foreign flick, but I think that George Sluizer does a fantastic job directing the 1993 version.  It's surprising to me, especially with all the talk about the foreign one being "better", that the director of both versions is Sluizer.  He redirected his own work, that's funny and nice.  Sort of like the upcoming Wicker Tree by Robin Hardy (which actually was released in the UK last year I think....what is wrong with here?  Why can't we get that film??).

The guy from Arlington Road was fantastic, aka 'The Dude'.  I guess when I look back on it, he's one of my favorite actors.  He did a bang up job with his supporting role in Ironman...I didn't full out love True Grit (one of the only parts I liked was his acting) and the Men Who Stare At Goats, and I don't think I've seen the other 34+ movies he's done....but I've liked enough of his work to know that he's pretty legit.  And when all is said and done, he falls closer to the top.

Basically the movie is slow and gritty - like a good Coen Bros. movie.  But holy heck is it suspensful!  Thriller of the year!  Just kidding.  Watch it.  Plot in 15 words or less: guy practices to kidnap people and finally kidnaps Sandra Bullock.  Keifer Sutherland gets mad and tries to get her back for 3 years.  There was a Nancy Travis sighting in here too, a good surprise, I remember when she was good.

No comments: