28 November 2011

Waxwork / 74 (C)

Cool idea, but the movie lacked in luster and wow-factor.  Basically a random wax museum found on the middle of a standard street hosts a bunch of wax scenes.  When unsuspecting victims get too close they fall (or get pushed by Lurch) into a portal and the scene comes alive with them in it.  At that point basically they are sorry they fell into the scene because they then get to be a permanent fixture in the scene.  There is some sort of connection with having 6 people engulfed by these wax scenes to do something, I'm not sure (I found out, it means they all become alive...the wax bad guys).  One clever piece of this movie is that each of the "scenes" is a different story.  So the director basically has a bunch of little mini-movies within a movie.  One is medieval, one is about a werewolf, one is about vampires, one about mummies, etc.  Sort of a cheap way out of a movie actually.  It's like Bill and Ted but in a waxwork horror movie.  Also for some reason I feel a bit of Hellraiser in this one, but I can't figure out why.  Scratch that...I just watched the last 20 minutes, this movie reminds me of a 'horror-movie-Night-at-the-Museum'.  At the end, everything comes alive and craziness ensues.  Not enough craziness to watch though.  I'd stay away it's not that good.  I see there are others too per the recommendations from Netflix.  I bet Waxwork II is really good.  Ha!  I do have a question though, is Paris Hilton's epic "House of Wax" a remake of this?  I actually bet a remake could be done well and be worth watching.

No comments: