12 January 2012

Fanboys #97 (B)

I had a short wait for Moneyball and Drive per Netfizzle, so I ordered Fanboys.  This is a movie that has been on my queue for many months.  Actually, I think it's been many years as I recall being told about this flick while at my last job by an 'anonymous homey' of mine.  He heard about it and then asked me to check out the trailer.  With this one, for the first time in a while, I watched the DVD right away when it arrived - instead of waiting a few days/weeks.  Someone I know still has a movie, The Thing I think, for over 4 years.  Crazy.

Guess what homeskillet?  Fanboys is damn funny, however likely only for a special kind of folk (guys, dorks, and perhaps those with a sense of humor outside of mainstream hollywood hits).  I'd put it up there with other comedies like Sex Drive or perhaps Hall Pass.  A lot of the jokes are sort of hidden unless you are this special kind of dork.  Hence, Star Wars dork.  Not to be confused with trekkies.  I believe I would qualify as a Star Wars dork, but not full fledged.

Overall it's a good comedy from guys like Apatow, Seth Rogan, Steven from Undeclared, and booger's son (note: Dan Fogler looks like Curtis Armstrong).  After checking, Apatow has nothing to do with this movie - it would seem like he would be friends with the guys who wrote this I guess.  I was impressed with the other two main actors as well, Sam Huntington and Chris Marquette.  Hopefully they each will do something else good someday and I can look them up again and say, "oh yeah, that was the kid from Fanboys".  Good cameo from Kenny Powers.  Beeleedat.  I also saw Lando, Carrie Fisher and Shatner - all of which can barely act anymore, so their cameos were pleasant/fun but not really good from a talent standpoint.  It's kind of funny how people deteriorate in acting skills in certain instances.  Danny Trejo and Christopher McDonald were fun additions as well.

I'd rather watch a movie like this over and over, than watch a "cult classic" like Old School or other.  Fanboys would be better to own, in my mind, then say owning 40 Year Old Virgin or Step Brothers.  With that said, what is better - Galaxy Quest or Fanboys?  Galaxy Quest is the answer.  If I was reviewing/blogging Galaxy Quest, that would surely get an A.

I recognized the lady lead, but I wasn't sure from where.  I just IMDB'd her and still don't know who she is...so I IMDB'd her again...and it's from Couples Retreat...Justin Bateman's wife in that movie (which could have been better).

James King....good work.  Didn't realize you were an actor.

P.S. A quick note about Steven from Undeclared: I'm really happy that Steven from Undeclared is getting some Apatow and Seth Rogan love.  He's really talented and someone who I enjoy in most of the movies he's been in.  Perhaps soon I'll start calling him Jay Baruchel instead of Steven from Undeclared.

No comments: