01 January 2012

John Carpenter's The Ward #91 (D-)

I rated this one a 1 star on Netflix (c).

I expect a lot out of John Carpenter.  Really I do.  I mean, he demands that his name be listed with the movie title for eff's sake.  He brought us The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, Big Trouble in Little China, Halloween, Prince of Darkness, The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, etc. - all real great movies to me.  With that resume, he basically should always be the man.  However, now he directs this clunker??  Can anyone say Tales From the Crypt, or "Masters of Horror", or Up All Night or whatever it's called.  This was certainly bad...a straight to DVD awful cinema attraction - aka, don't waste your time.  I could barely finish this piece.  The "bad guy" was so bad it wasn't even...what was I saying?  Right, don't watch this.

Some of Carpenter's other recent gems are Jason vs. Leatherface, The Nightmare Ends on Halloween II, and Jason vs. Michael.  I think he just wrote those not directed.  With those titles, I can clearly say that he should call it quits.

Sam Neill would have been good as the doctor in this movie.  Perfect role for him.

I also love the classic plot move consisting of: person-in-mental-ward-gets-tranqualized-after-something-happens-where-the-staff-doesn't-believe-them-that-something-happens....  That didn't come out right.  What I meant is, it's totally classic (sarcastically) that they tranquilized her right when she needed the most help ever and right when she was being attacked by the "bad guy".

Dumb, dumb, dumb movie.  Sorry, it was.

No comments: