03 January 2012

The Perfect Host / 93 (B-)

David Hyde Pierce was very good.  It's surprising to see a guy who I know mostly as a dorky actor from Frasier, go and perform the way he did in a movie like this.  He pulls off an Oldman-worthy role.  Honestly I feel he might be partially insane in the brain in his real life to be able to act this out so well.  I also very much enjoyed his vocal skills in the 2nd half of the movie.

The movie itself was like a mix of Funny Games, meets I Saw the Devil and Misery, which meets the Frasier cast while they are visiting a psycho ward.  I could have done without the flashbacks.  They were done in a bit of a cheesy way.  Cheesy isn't the right word, how about just not done well.  Anyway, the entire experience was fun if you are a person that likes psycho thrillers.  Also for those that haven't seen the trailer yet, there are a lot of twists which are unexpected.  The supporting roles of Roman and the others were a bit annoying as well, but I get it.  Definitely worth watching tonight.

No comments: