29 July 2012

#151 Argento's "Deep Red" (B+)

Yeah Goblin!  Fantastic as always.  Are these guys dead?  Are they doing any further work?  I believe I have ~3 songs from this film on my iPod (nope, I bought the entire soundtrack apparently), and all tracks are just superb.  Honestly they do scary - almost chilling work.  Their sound aids the scene so much with the help of their eerie sounds.  The world either needs more Goblin, or another Goblin like band to come along and do horror films.

Well now, on with the movie discussion.  I was impressed.  Finally, Dario Argento has performed well again.  As you see, for me, the last few I have watched have been a bit clunky.  But Profondo Rosso (Italian name for Deep Red) certainly surprised me.  I had heard it was good but always assumed it would be just okay, since other of his work has unimpressed.  I would have to watch Suspiria again to see which I liked better, but definitely both are among the tops in his library.  Of course there was the ketchupy looking blood and a lot of dramatic glass shattering (as he loves to do)...but there also was a lot of action.  It wasn't slow moving and the plot continued to progress so I was engaged.  Versus a lot of the other 70's horror that I've watched.  So good job to you Dario.

Now I'd like to paste a ton of pictures from this movie.  First scenes I particularly liked from within the film:






Last, I'd like to discuss what is going on with the movie posters and/or DVD sleeves for this movie.  I realize the movie had many layers and a ton of oddness ensued, thus there are numerous avenues that could be taken when creating a still to represent the film, however check these out.  Seems to me that these could almost all pass for different films altogether.








No comments: