04 July 2012

Run down

I just watched a thing of beauty.  I listened to Vin Scully (c) call the Reds versus the Dodgers.  And it is just fantastic.  He just called a run down and in the process, completely busted on the entire league.  Almost a challenge to those who are listening, like the Yankees (meaning the Yankees can do this and they listen).  By 'calling out the whole league', I mean that he said that his only gripe about major leaguers and their skills is their ability to do the run down.  This particular one resulted in a 5 - 2 - 6 - 1 and the play was headed home instead of back towards third.  It was a thing of beauty - Vin's recap and observation that is.  They replayed the play in super slo-mo and from about 3 different angles.  Vin lit it up.  It was so fantastic.  He busted on their initial throw to catcher (down and low, and I think it bounced?), he busted on the catchers throw to the SS (high and outside making the SS have to jump), and then he busted on them because it was the P who got the final out and had to lunge far to his left to even get the tag on the guy.  The play also resulted with the runner on their  way towards home instead of towards third, which is the worst way to have a rundown end.  Towards third is the safer way.

Meanwhile, from my view, I saw a complete other play going on and didn't even see what Vin saw (until the replay).  I saw the Dodgers using their smarts to advance runners.  I saw a perfectly executed play by their 3 runners - Juan Rivera, some guy #47 named Cruz (Luis Cruz), and Mark Ellis.  With the two latter base runners advancing to 2nd and 3rd as the first runner got tug out at home, delaying just enough time to get everyone where they needed to be yet get the inevitable out.

Here's the "play by play", minus Vin:



Also I just heard that Verlander has 60 games in a row of pitching at least 6 innings.  Carlton was better, the record is 69.  I don't know if this is okay, but I'm going to say what I just heard...."he's his own closer" - care of the MLB Network (c).  It's the 8th and he just threw pitch 86 with 2 outs already.  JJ had 60 by the end of the 2nd tonight.  Verlander is efficient.

No comments: