28 July 2012

Ex Drummer #150 (B+)

Let's see.  How do I go about discussing this movie?

Part of me understands the view the director is portraying.  And part of me wants to say, what he hell was the point?  That second part of me now has an answer however, as I've had some time to ponder what I've just witnessed.  I slept on it and actually completely changed my thoughts and my rating.  My rating changed from a C, to a B-, and finally to a B+ the more I waited and thought.  All in a few hours worth of Koen Mortier's journey placed gently on and inside my skull.

It was definitely cool with the way they filmed this with a constant twist of the camera.  With the one dude and his upside down view of the world....and the reverse filming throughout the beginning of the movie....all coupled with effects like the slowed down scene during the concert.  A scene that becomes a pivotal turning point as the start of the madness for some and the slip back to reality for others.  All mixed with a very dark landscape, filled with filth and trash.  A seemingly everyday life for this bunch.  But seriously, was the point of the movie just to show a bunch of guys who punch things, butt-f4ck things, and mess with their friend's parents?  (A la Bam, only substitute mid-PA and quads for a foreign city outskirts and bicycles).  No, that wasn't the point.  But from a high up view this is what this movie could seem.  Thus I give a shout out to the director for being able to lay that footwork down in the background of the film for the entire ride.

But rather, the main emphasis for this movie was to show the gut of society in the punk sector.  A punch in the gut of that society more like it.  Where everyone was mad at each other, mad at the world, and everyone got dumped and puked on in the end.  Everyone that is but the guy who already had it all.  The guy who was just dipping his toe back into the punk ocean for a few months because he could.  An ex-drummer literally, who gives a new band and chance and thus takes a quick relapse into an old but well known world.  Filled with new misfits from his past, yet he can back out and go to his loft and talk politics with his buddies on his cordless phone whenever he wants.  And when the shizz hits the fan, he can and does escape it all and goes back to his newer stable life, stepping out of the belly of his old punk days.  He had become better than all of this to a degree, and ultimately he was alive to show it.

If there was other points to this movie that I am missing please let me know.  I think I'm just beginning to learn a bit about pondering a movie and finding out what it means.  What the director is trying to portray.  As you see, I really flipped on this one.  Starting off about to rip it a new one and to complain that I had no idea what the director wanted out of the film, then changing my opinion and realizing some of the message that was given, all while laying a comfy footing of a punk life lived by many.

Can someone tell me, was there a point like this to that Sid and Nancy movie?  Because all I saw was them getting wasted everyday and that's pretty much it.  Was there more to it?  If so, I'll give it another go around.  Justin, can you answer this for me as you seem to like it and own the criterion collection?

By the way and for the record, I would purchase and listen to this soundtrack.  The concert scene had many good songs that I enjoyed and would chill to.  Not for most, but is a yes for me.  Also I've had this since April 14 and pushed play approximately 6-7 times before finally trudging through.  And it was worth it.

Here's two pictures of Big Dick, one of the supporting characters in the film, and some of his antics.  In the second picture - he's inside a vagina.  Basically by posting this, I am showing a quick snapshot of some of the visuals that were throughout this movie:



No comments: